PRP, which stands for Platelet-rich plasma, is a non-invasive treatment therapy for hair loss. It is a 3 step medical treatment whereby a person’s blood is drawn, processed, and then finally injected into the scalp. According to studies, PRP injections are said to trigger natural hair growth and maintain it through increasing blood supply to the hair follicle as well as increasing the thickness of the hair shaft.
At times, PRP for hair loss Dubai is combined with other hair loss medications and procedures.
The Need for PRP for hair loss
There are various reasons as to why an individual might need PRP therapy for hair loss, such as;
- If you have thinning hair
- If you are looking for a permanent solution for your hair loss
- If you are looking for a minimally invasive hair loss treatment
How to Choose the Right Surgeon for PRP For Hair Loss In Dubai
Having a successful PRP for hair loss procedure depends on choosing the right surgeon who is an expert in hair loss procedures. The plastic surgeon you choose for PRP therapy for hair loss in Dubai should not only be a board-certified doctor but should also have the following characteristics:
- He should be able to show you photos of previous PRP for hair loss procedures.
- He should have good reviews from previous patients.
- He should have a keen artistic eye.
- His focus should be on the safety and care of the patient.
- He should have an appreciation of natural aesthetically, appealing hairline, and density.
After selecting the right surgeon for your PRP for hair loss procedure, the next step is having a detailed consultation. During this session, you and your plastic surgeon will discuss why you need the surgery, and what you hope to achieve. You will also discuss the process of the procedure, PRP for hair loss cost in Dubai and everything that will be involved until your recovery period.
Right before the procedure, the plastic surgeon will check your medical history as well as what medications you are taking if any. He will also physically examine your hair, and take photos so that you can see the difference after the surgery.
Before the PRP for hair loss procedure, it is important to lead a healthy lifestyle. If you are a smoker, you should stop at least six weeks before the surgery. If you are taking any blood-thinning medication like aspirin, you are advised to stop to avoid excessive bleeding during the procedure. Alcohol consumption should also be halted as well as any herbal supplements.
The PRP for hair loss treatment is done in a clinical set up on an outpatient basis. It is a 3 step process, and the therapy requires three treatments, which are 4 to 6 weeks apart. Maintenance treatments are usually required every 4 to 6 months.
The patient’s blood is drawn from the arm; then, it is put into a centrifuge. It is a machine which separates fluids of different densities by spinning rapidly. It separates the components of the blood.
The blood will have separated after about 10 minutes in the centrifuge. The blood will have separated into three layers;
- Red blood cells
- Platelet-poor plasma
- Platelet-rich plasma
Once the platelet rich plasma has been placed inside a syringe, it is injected into areas of the scalp which need increased hair growth.
It is a meticulous process with injections beginning across the scalp. It is done approximately at every half inch over the area of thinning hair. The entire procedure takes about half an hour.
There are alternative treatments for dealing with hair loss, and they are;
- Hair transplantation: This is a surgical option in which hair is harvested from one area and transplanted on the bald part. It requires cuts in the scalp, and the recovery time is longer. This treatment is usually recommended for people with dramatic hair loss.
- Medications such as finasteride and minoxidil must be taken consistently over time for the results. Although each drug has its own side effects such as minoxidil may cause dryness and itching to the scalp while finasteride may cause sexual dysfunction in men.
- Another alternative is wearing a wig, but the downside of a wearing a wig is that it might make you feel self-conscious and it is not permanent.
Patients of PRP for hair loss can resume their normal daily activities immediately after the treatment, but it is advisable to avoid certain thing like;
- The sun: always cover the head when going out into the sun
- Massaging the treatment area for at least 4 hours after the procedure
- Scratching the treatment area as this can cause infection and lead to delayed healing.
It is important to follow any guidelines or instructions given by the plastic surgeon for faster healing and to avoid complications or risks.
Patients of PRP for hair loss can shower, shampoo, and even condition their hair like they normally do 24 hours after the treatment. The doctor will give more guidelines after the procedure.
Possible Risks & Complications
PRP for hair loss involves using your blood for the procedure; hence, you are not at risk of getting a communicable disease.
However, any treatment that involves needles always carries some risks such as;
- Injury to the nerves or blood vessels
- Scar tissue
- Calcification at the injection points
There could also be a chance that you could have a negative reaction to the anesthetic used during the therapy. Therefore, you should discuss the PRP for hair loss side effects with your surgeon.
Ideal Candidate for PRP for hair loss procedure
You may be a perfect candidate for PRP for hair loss if;
- You are not a smoker.
- You are in good health, both physically and psychologically.
- You have realistic expectations of the results.
- You have thinning hair
PRP for Hair Loss Results
The results will depend on the consistency of the treatments. These are usually performed once a month for the first 3 to 4 months. After this, they are done every 3 to 6 months, but this will depend on the individual patient’s response and results. When this protocol is followed, the first results can be seen within 2 to 3 months.
At first, the patient will notice decreased hair shedding, which will be followed by early regrowth and increased the length of hair. The main reason for receiving treatments every 3 to 6 months on a long term basis is to continue to stimulate the growth factors and stem cells which are associated with the regrowth and to stop the hair from falling out.
Benefits of PRP for hair loss Procedure
Various aesthetic, physical and psychological benefits are enjoyed by the candidates after going through PRP for hair loss in Dubai, which include;
- No scars
- A boost in self-esteem.
- Improved hair density
- No more hair thinning
- No downtime
- Younger-looking self
- It is a quick and effective procedure
Get in Touch
At Aesthetics by Kings College Hospital Dubai, we have some of the leading plastic surgeons in the region. Our PRP for hair loss surgeons in Dubai are board-certified and focus on the safety and care of every patient in a compassionate environment with state-of-the-art facilities. To book a free consultation, get in touch using the contact details given, and one of our patient-care staff will book an appointment for you.