Arm lift surgery, which is also referred to as brachioplasty, is a surgical procedure which improves the appearance of the upper arms by removing sagginess. People who want to get rid of the extra fat and skin between the armpit and elbow can opt for an arm lift surgery in Dubai.
The Need for an Arm Lift
One might have sagging and uneven arms due to the following reasons;
- Physical trauma on arms
- Weight fluctuations
- Botched Surgery
- Lack of exercise
Saggy arms give a very poor look of the overall body as well as of the arms too, and they may lead one to have low self-esteem and poor self-image. However, the main goal of the arm lift (brachioplasty in Dubai) is to enhance the appearance of the arms aesthetically by tightening the underlying arm tissues and reducing the excess skin and fat to give well-defined contours to the muscles.
How to Choose the Right Surgeon for Arm Lift Surgeon
Having a successful arm lift surgery entirely depends upon choosing the right surgeon who is a specialist in performing arm lift surgeries. He should be a board-certified doctor, as well. A good plastic surgeon should have the following characteristics;
- He should have good reviews from the previous candidates.
- He should be able to demonstrate his previous surgeries’ results through pictures.
- He should have a keen artistic eye.
- He must be aware of all the safety factors of the candidate.
- He must have a good aesthetic sense of appreciating beautiful arms.
Note that the arm lift is always performed by a plastic surgeon and not by any medical aestheticians.
After you have selected the right surgeon, you will have a detailed consultation session. You and your surgeon will discuss the possible outcomes of the procedure, don’t forget to mention your expectations from the surgery and why you want to have it. Discuss the surgical process, arm lift surgery price in Dubai and every step involved to get the idea of the whole procedure.
Right before the surgery takes place, the doctor is going to make a record of your medical history, and check whether you are or have had been on medications of any sort. He is also going to have a record of your weight fluctuations or the surgeries (if you might have undergone). Your surgeon is then going to examine both arms in detail and will take photographs to compare the result afterwards.
Before the arm lift procedure, you must have a healthy lifestyle. You must follow a proper diet plan and exercise regularly under professional supervision. You should stop smoking at least five weeks before the surgery. Alcohol consumption should also be halted four weeks before the surgery. You should also avoid all the drugs that include aspirin, and anti-inflammatory medicines should also be avoided to reduce the risk of excess bleeding during the surgery. You should take a bath twenty-four hours before the surgery to make sure that the target areas are clean and germ-free.
Local Anesthesia is administered before the surgery, which takes about two to three hours.
The Brachioplasty in Dubai is carried out on an outpatient basis, and no overnight stay is considered mandatory for the candidate.
Types of an arm lift procedure;
- Minimal Incision Arm Lift – It is suitable for the individuals who have a small amount of excessive skin near the armpits.
- Full Arm Lift – It is suitable for the ones having excess drooping skin on the arm altogether.
The surgeon makes small incisions on the back or inside of your arms. The incision patterns vary according to the technique applied. The technique, however, depends upon the need for the surgery or candidate’s preferences.
For mini arm lift, the incision is made in the underarm extending to the right above the elbow. Whereas, in the full arm lift, the incision made runs from the elbow to the armpit and onto the side of the chest. After the relevant incisions are made, extra fat is withdrawn from the arms by using liposuction technique. The excess fat is extracted through a suction pump following the tightening of extra skin. In the end, incisions are closed via sutures (absorbable sutures).
The time required for the arm lift recovery is relatively shorter but still varies from person to person. However, it takes about two to three weeks for the candidate to get recovered fully. You will have swelling and pain after the surgery, but painkillers will help you settling it down quickly. You will have bruising after the surgery, but it will subside within three weeks. Dissolvable stitches are used for the arm lift surgery; if non-dissolvable ones are used, they will be removed after five days of the surgery. You will not be allowed to move your arms for about three weeks after the surgery. You should have follow-up appointments with your doctor to keep your healing process in the track.
You should follow all the instructions given by your surgeon to keep yourself healthy.
Take the prescribed medicines regularly. You will not be allowed to perform any physical activity for about three weeks. You will be guided not to perform any vigorous activities until the recommended time period. You will be instructed to keep on elevating your arms on pillows; as it will help to reduce the swelling and discomfort after the surgery. You will be recommended to wear a compression garment for a specific amount of time. You should take care of your incision sites and save them from water to minimize the risk of infection. You should follow the particular exercise patterns instructed by your surgeon. You should take off from work for at least a fortnight and take rest as much as you can. You need to follow these guidelines if you want arm lift surgery without scars.
Risks & Complications
Like any other surgery, arm lift procedure also has some risks associated with it. However, it is very important to discuss arm lift surgery risks with your surgeon before the surgery. The possible risks include;
- Scarring – The incision scars from an arm lift procedure are permanent, but they are placed in the areas where they are not visible. Rarely, incisions scars can form red and bad appearance, which might require additional surgery to get them treated.
- Asymmetry – This happens when the excess fat is not removed in equal amounts from both the arms. In this case, revision arm lift surgery is required to achieve arms symmetry.
- Skin Sensation Alterations – You might feel temporary numbness in the arm tissues during the repositioning process. But this settles down in a couple of months.
- Inflammation—sometimes, stitches applied to cause the inflammation on the surface of the skin. It might require another surgery for proper treatment.
- Infection – The wounds may get infected if you will not take care of your hygiene. Anti-biotic will be prescribed to get rid of the infection
- Anesthesia Risks – Use of anesthesia might cause a lot of issues like allergic reactions, chest infection, and blood clot formation in legs.
- Allergies—it happens scarcely, but your skin might be allergic to tape, solutions or any other relevant medications. However, in this case, you might undergo an extra treatment to cure allergic reactions.
Ideal Candidate for Arm Lift
Before going through an arm lift in Dubai, your eligibility criteria will be assessed by your surgeon. You can be an ideal candidate of an arm lift if;
- You have excess sagging skin on your arms.
- You have excess fat deposits on your arms.
- You are not over-weight.
- Your weight is stable.
- You do not smoke.
- You are over 18.
- You are physically and mentally healthy.
Results of Arm Lift
The overall outcome and time for the results vary from person to person. However, the results become visible after the swelling settles down after a month or two. The results obtained from the procedure are long-lasting if the weight is maintained, and a recommended exercise plan is followed.
Benefits of Arm Lift
There are various benefits of an arm lift procedure, including:
- The procedure contours the arms.
- Your arm symmetry is achieved with firmer and well-toned arms.
- It enhances your overall personality aesthetically.
- It is a minimally invasive
- It causes minimal scarring, and they are well-hidden.
- It yields long-lasting results.
- It boosts your self-esteem.
- It also promotes your cultural and self-acceptance.
Get in Touch
At Aesthetics by Kings College Hospital Dubai, we have some of the leading plastic surgeons in the region. Our arm lift surgeons in dubai are board-certified and focus on the safety and care of every patient in a compassionate environment with state-of-the-art facilities. To book a free consultation, get in touch using the contact details given, and one of our patient-care staff will book an appointment for you.