Lip reduction surgery is a cosmetic procedure done to reduce the size of the lips. This is done on people who are uncomfortable with unreasonably large lips that might not be symmetrical. Although aesthetically increasing the size of the lips is more common, some individuals opt for lip reduction surgery in Dubai, to have their lips reduced to achieve facial symmetry.
The Need for Lip Reduction
Large lips can be as a result of several factors including;
- A botched lip augmentation procedure
- Lifestyle choices
- Physical trauma on one of both lips
Although a lip reduction surgery can be done on both lips, it is commonly done on one lip, especially if it seems out of proportion. Voluminous or unreasonably large lips can lead one to have low self-esteem, feel unattractive, or even interfere with his/her daily life.
The main goal of the lip reduction treatment in Dubai is to naturally enhance the aesthetic appearance of the lips by reducing them to achieve symmetry.
How to Choose the Right Surgeon for Lip Reduction
Having a successful lip reduction surgery depends on choosing the right lip reduction surgeons in Dubai who are expert in facial contouring procedures. A good plastic surgeon should not only be experienced but should be board-certified as well. Other characteristics of a good plastic surgeon include:
- He should be able to show you photos of previous lip reduction procedures.
- He should have good reviews from previous patients.
- He should have a keen artistic eye.
- His focus should be on the safety and care of the patient.
- He should have an appreciation of natural aesthetically appealing lips.
Note that a lip reduction procedure is not done by a medical aesthetician, but by a qualified plastic surgeon.
After selecting the right surgeon for your lip reduction surgery, the next step is having a detailed consultation. During this session, you and your plastic surgeon will discuss why you need the surgery, and what you hope to achieve. You will also discuss the process of the procedure, the cost, and everything that will be involved until your recovery period. Lip reduction cost in Dubai can vary depending upon the nature of the surgery and requirements of the patients.
Right before the procedure, the plastic surgeon will check your medical history as well as what medications you are taking if any. He will also physically examine your lips, and take photos so that you can see the difference after the surgery.
Before the lip reduction surgery, it is important to lead a healthy lifestyle. If you are a smoker, you should stop at least six weeks before the surgery. If you are taking any blood-thinning medication like aspirin, you are advised to stop to avoid excess bleeding during the procedure. Alcohol consumption should also be halted as well as any herbal supplements.
The lip reduction surgery is carried out in a hospital setting on an outpatient basis. It lasts for one hour under local anesthesia, and the patient is allowed to go home afterward. Many lip reduction clinics in Dubai are offering lip reduction services, but you should always choose the most credible one.
During the procedure, the surgeon makes an incision along the horizontal line in the pink inner part of the lip, which reduces the probability of scarring. The excess fat and tissue from the target area are removed, and the skin is sutured back together. The procedure can be performed on both lips in one session, or the patient can choose to have them done on separate occasions. This factor also affects the lip reduction surgery cost in Dubai.
Although surgery is the best way to reduce the volume of lips, there are alternative minimally-invasive cosmetic treatments that you can opt to reduce lips. These include;
- Using dermal fillers to add volume to the cheeks so that they balance out the lips.
- Using permanent makeup to camouflage the lips to make them appear smaller.
- Facial exercises under professional supervision.
Lip reduction surgery recovery period is quite fast compared with other invasive procedures. However, the recovery period varies from person to person. Immediately after the surgery, there will be discomfort, bruising, and swelling, which should disappear after 4 days. Most patients return to work or their day-to-day activities after 2-3 days. 7 days after the procedure, the sutures will then be removed. In case of any discomfort, pain medication is prescribed to alleviate it.
Over the next 7 – 10 days, the patient will have follow-up appointments with the plastic surgeon to keep track of the healing process.
It is important to follow any guidelines or instructions given by the plastic surgeon for faster healing and to avoid complications or risks.
The plastic surgeon will prescribe you medications, which you should take as instructed. To alleviate any discomfort and swelling, you are advised to use an ice pack on the area. For a couple of weeks, you will have bruises around your lips; and for the first two days post-surgery, you are advised to eat soft foods like soup or any food cut into small pieces. From the 3rd day onwards, you can eat what you want.
An antiseptic mouth-wash will be prescribed by the plastic surgeon, and it must be used regularly. Keep your head elevated and use an extra pillow while sleeping to reduce swelling.
Possible Risks & Complications
Like any other surgery, there are possible risks involved in lip reduction surgery. Although it is a fairly safe procedure, it is important to discuss these possible risks or complications with your plastic surgeon before the procedure. Possible risks include:
- Infection – The wounds might get infected if proper care is not taken; however, this can easily be treated with antibiotics.
- Scarring – Scars are inevitable after any surgical procedure. But in a lip reduction surgery, they will be hidden inside the mouth. And if they are prominent, then the patient might require a scar-revision procedure.
- Severe Swelling – Swelling is quite common, but it can get worse if the wound is not taken care of properly. However, it can be treated with medications.
- Bleeding – Excessive bleeding is very rare, but possible. If this happens after you leave the hospital, call the plastic surgeon immediately.
Ideal Candidate for Lip Reduction Surgery
You may be a perfect candidate for lip reduction if:
- You have unreasonably large lips.
- You are not a smoker.
- You are in good health, both physically and psychologically.
- You have realistic expectations of the results.
- You are unsatisfied with one or both of your lips.
- Your lips are not proportionate to your other facial features.
Results of Lip Reduction
The results, after undergoing a lip reduction surgery in Dubai, become visible after three months. Some of the positive changes you’ll see include smaller and more symmetrical lips. There is no guarantee given, as the results vary from person to person.
Benefits of Lip Reduction Procedure
There are many aesthetic and psychological benefits of a successful lip reduction surgery. These include;
- Naturally thinner and attractive lips.
- Facial symmetry.
- Youthful looks.
- Hidden scars.
- A boost in self-esteem.
Get in Touch
At Aesthetics by Kings College Hospital Dubai, we have some of the leading plastic surgeons in the region. Our lip reduction surgeons in Dubai are board-certified and focus on the safety and care of every patient in a compassionate environment with state-of-the-art facilities. To book a free consultation, get in touch using the contact details given and one of our patient-care staff members will book an appointment for you.