Otoplasty, which is also referred to as cosmetic ear surgery, is a cosmetic surgical procedure which is used to alter the shape, position, and overall proportion of ears. It is also used to correct ear-related defects on a structural basis. The major goal of otoplasty in Dubai is to enhance the appearance of ears aesthetically by achieving ear symmetry.
The Need for Otoplasty
Ear surgery in Dubai is done based on several aesthetic and medical reasons. However, you might go for otoplasty if any of your ear or both stick out from your head or they are misshapen or disproportionate in relation to your head or the other ear. A botched otoplasty can also lead you to undergo the same surgery again to achieve desired results.
There are a plethora of reasons which cause misshaping of ears, for example, ear structure might get affected after an accident or an injury. Sometimes people have asymmetrical ears since childbirth. Ear defects can also be the result of trauma or stress.
How to Choose the Right Otoplasty Surgeon In Dubai
Having a successful Otoplasty procedure depends on choosing the right surgeon, who is an expert in facial contouring procedures. A good plastic surgeon should not only be experienced but should be board-certified as well. Other characteristics of a good plastic surgeon include:
- He should be able to show you photos of previous Otoplasty
- He should have good reviews from previous patients.
- He should have a keen artistic eye.
- His focus should be on the safety and care of the patient.
- He should have an appreciation of natural aesthetically appealing ears.
After selecting the right surgeon for your Otoplasty procedure, the next step is having a detailed consultation. During this session, you and your plastic surgeon will discuss why you need the surgery, and what you hope to achieve. You will also discuss the process of the procedure, the cost, and everything that will be involved until your recovery period. The otoplasty cost in Dubai widely varies depending upon the experience of the surgeon and the nature of surgery.
Right before the procedure, the plastic surgeon will check your medical history as well as what medications you are taking if any. He will also physically examine your ears, and take photos so that you can see the difference after the surgery.
Before the Otoplasty surgery, it is important to lead a healthy lifestyle. If you are a smoker, you should stop at least six weeks before the surgery. If you are taking any blood-thinning medication like aspirin, you are advised to stop to avoid excess bleeding during the procedure. Alcohol consumption should also be halted as well as any herbal supplements.
The Otoplasty procedure is carried out in a hospital setting on an outpatient basis. It lasts for two hours under local anesthesia, and the patient is allowed to go home afterward.
There are several ear surgery techniques, and their use depends on the kind of correction is required or asked by the candidate. The incisions at the relevant sites are made by the plastic surgeon after choosing a particular technique.
Your plastic surgeon can make incisions either at the back of your ears (for protruding ears) or within the inner creases of your ears. Then the required alterations are made in which the ear size is reduced by removing the excess amount of cartilage and skin, or the ear volume is increased by adding cartilage grafts. The incisions are then closed with the sutures.
- The recovery time varies from person to person, but you may have to rest and stay at home for a week or two after the surgery.
- Your surgeon shall bandage your head with otoplasty recovery headband before sending you home, and he will also instruct how to take care of it.
- You will have to wear a bandage for three days.
- You will experience some discomfort and itching right after the surgery, and some painkillers shall be given to comfort you.
- You will be guided about the sleeping techniques to keep pressure off from the affected area.
- After your bandage is removed, your ears will be swollen, and redness will be visible. For that reason, you will be wearing a headband for two weeks, to keep the ears safe from any trauma, and to allow them to maintain the new shape.
- Your stitches will be removed after a week of the surgery.
- You will be allowed to resume daily activities after one-week post-surgery.
The post-surgical instructions are given by the surgeons based on the client condition, but these are few common instructions that must be followed by every patient on a general level,
- Keep on taking the medicines as per your doctor’s prescription.
- Ice packs must be used to minimize swelling and discomfort.
- Proper rest must be taken for a week after the surgery.
- A light walk should be started as soon as possible to keep the blood flowing.
- Avoid vigorous activities which can trigger increased blood flow.
- While sleeping, extra pillows should be used, to keep the head elevated.
- The head should not be rested on the treated ear.
Risks & Complications
Likewise, other surgeries, there are certain risks and complications associated with this procedure, too, and it is very important to discuss all the possible risks with your surgeon before the operation takes place. However, the potent risks include,
- Scarring – There shall be permanent scars a result of this surgery, but they will be hidden either behind the ears or within the ears.
- Skin Sensation Alteration – During otoplasty, a temporary effect in skin sensation in a particular area can occur. But these changes are merely temporary.
- Overcorrection – Rarely, the surgery can create unnatural borders and contours, which will require additional surgery to get them fixed.
- Stitches Issues – Stitches applied in the surface of the skin, for repositioning of the ear, need to be removed after a particular time. This can cause inflammation of the skin and will require extra surgery for appropriate treatment.
- Asymmetry – Asymmetry in ear placement can happen. This could occur as a result of the healing process, but it is very unlikely to happen.
- Bleeding—Excessive bleeding is very rare, but possible.
- Infection— your wounds might get infected and eventually worsen. But it can be cured by having antibiotics as prescribed your surgeon.
- Allergies—it happens scarcely, but your skin might be allergic to tape, solutions, or any other relevant medications.
Ideal Candidate for Otoplasty
You may be the best candidate for ear surgery if;
- You are not contented with the current appearance of your ears.
- You have prominent ears.
- You are in good health, both physically and psychologically.
- You have realistic expectations of the results.
- Your ears are not appropriately
- Your ears seem disproportionate to the rest of the facial features.
- Your ears have been misshapen due to some accident or an injury.
- You do not smoke.
Expected Results of Otoplasty
After your bandages are removed, you are going to observe an immediate change in the appearance of your ears. These changes are permanent.
Sometimes, clients do not get the desired result, and that is why it is considered very important to talk about your expectations and all possibilities with your plastic surgeon before the operation.
Benefits of Otoplasty
The individuals who opt for otoplasty surgery in Dubai, not only experience the change in the physical appearance of the ears but also enjoy various aesthetic and psychological benefits, which include;
- Your ears’ overall aesthetic appearance is improved, and their shape, size, and position get improved.
- Many sorts of small imperfections can be corrected with this procedure.
- It is suitable for children
- It is completely a safe procedure, and minimum side effects are associated with it.
- It causes minimal scarring.
- It boosts up your self-esteem and also improves your self-image.
- It yields natural-looking results.
Get in Touch
Aesthetics by Kings College Hospital is a top otoplasty treatment clinic in Dubai. We have some of the leading plastic surgeons in the region. Our plastic surgeons are board-certified and focus on the safety and care of every patient in a compassionate environment with state-of-the-art facilities. To book a free consultation, get in touch using the contact details given and our patient-care staff will book an appointment for you.