The Need for Surgical Scar Revision
- Poor healing of wounds
- Skin diseases
How to Choose the Right surgeon for Surgical Scar Revision
- He should be able to show you photos of previous surgical scar revision
- He should have good reviews from previous patients.
- He should have a keen artistic eye.
- His focus should be on the safety and care of the patient.
- He should have an appreciation of a natural aesthetically appealing skin.
After selecting the right surgeon for your surgical scar revision treatment, the next step is having a detailed consultation. During this session, you and your plastic surgeon will discuss why you need the surgery, and what you hope to achieve. You will also discuss the process of the procedure, scar removal Dubai cost, and everything that will be involved until your recovery period.
Right before the procedure, the plastic surgeon will check your medical history as well as what medications you are taking if any. He will also physically examine your scars, and take photos so that you can see the difference after the surgery.
Before the surgical scar revision procedure or any other procedure, whether surgical or non-surgical, it is important to lead a healthy lifestyle. If you are a smoker, you should stop before the procedure. If you are taking any blood-thinning medication like aspirin, you are advised to stop to avoid excessive bleeding during the procedure. Alcohol consumption should also be halted as well as any herbal supplements.
- Skin Grafting – In a skin grafting, the surgeon uses skin from another area of your body. This is suitable for the people who have had burns.
- Laser Resurfacing – Laser treatment for surgical scars reduces the facial scars, and it uses short, concentrated pulsating beams of light at irregular skin, by removing skin layer by layer.
- Tissue Expansion – It is a procedure performed to promote the growth of healthy supplementary skin used for the replacement of scarred skin by placing a silicone extender underneath the skin.
- Topical Treatments –Products such as gel, tapes, or external compression may be used to treat existing surface scars and discolouration of the skin.
- Injectable Treatments – Dermal filler can be used to fill concave scars. A particular solution is injected in the affected area, which improves their appearance and sometimes makes them small and unnoticeable.
The time required for the healing process varies from person to person. In the initial days of the recovery period, you will experience swelling and discomfort around the affected area, which ends up within a fortnight. As the healing period continues, the treated scars begin to fade and refine. The fading and disappearance of the scars depend upon the nature, size, and the texture of the scars.
Over the next 7 – 10 days, the patient will have follow-up appointments with the plastic surgeon to keep track of the healing process.
It is important to follow any guidelines or instructions given by the plastic surgeon for faster healing and to avoid complications or risks
You should take all the medicines prescribed by your doctor. You should use ice packs on the incision sites to reduce the swelling and discomfort. You should not make the incision sites wet for two to three days to minimize the risk of infection. You might feel numbness in the treated area, but this feeling vanishes within a week or two. You should follow the proper diet plan given by your doctor.
Risks & Complications
- Scarring – The incision scars from a thigh lift procedure are permanent, but after the healing, a scar revision procedure might be performed.
- Skin Sensation Alterations – You might feel temporary numbness in the inner thigh tissues during the repositioning process. But this settles down in a couple of months.
- Inflammation—Sometimes, stitches applied can cause inflammation on the surface of the skin.
- Infection – There is always a chance of infection, but antibiotics are prescribed to avoid this risk.
- Allergies—it happens scarcely, but your skin might be allergic to tape, solutions, or any other medications.
Ideal Candidate for Surgical Scar Revision
- You have a scar on your body that bothers you.
- You do not have any skin diseases.
- You do not have acne.
- You do not smoke.
- You are physically and mentally healthy.
It takes a lot of time for the results to get visible post-surgery. It takes about a couple of months or a year to get the final results. The results are permanent if you maintain a proper diet and take care of your skin.
Benefits of Surgical Scar Revision
- It enhances the tone of your skin by reducing scars.
- It upgrades your overall personality aesthetically.
- Painful burns and blisters are removed.
- It boosts your self-esteem.
- It promotes your self-acceptance and cultural acceptance.
Get in Touch
At Aesthetics by Kings College Hospital Dubai, we have some of the leading scar revision surgeons in the region. Our plastic surgeons are board-certified and focus on the safety and care of every patient in a compassionate environment with state-of-the-art facilities. To book a consultation, get in touch using the contact details given, and one of our patient-care staff members will book an appointment for you.