What is the mommy makeover?
The mommy makeover is a term used to refer to a combination of tailored body contouring and intimate rejuvenation procedures that are performed to improve the physical changes faced by most women who have been through pregnancy, childbirth and breastfeeding.
Mommy makeover treatment areas
- Intimate area
What are the procedures involved in a mommy makeover?
- Breast lift: Also called mastopexy, the procedure lifts drooping breasts by removing the excess hanging skin and tightening the surrounding tissue to create a more perky youthful breast contour.
- Breast Augmentation: Known as a boob job, it involves enhancing the breasts using breast implants or fat transfer.
- Tummy Tuck: Also referred to as abdominoplasty, is a procedure that removes excess skin and fat and restores weakened abdominal muscles, creating a smoother, firmer, more contoured abdominal profile.
- Intimate Rejuvenation: This is a number of surgical and non-surgical procedures that reduce, reshape or tighten the female intimate tissues to help restore a more youthful, firmer tone with a symmetrical appearance.
- Liposuction: The most popular cosmetic mommy makeover procedure, it is a procedure that slims and reshapes certain body areas by removing excess fat deposits that are resistant to exercise and diet thereby improving the body contours.
- Buttock Augmentation: This is a procedure that adds volume and contours the buttocks. It can be done surgically or non-surgically.
Why you may need a mommy makeover
Pregnancy and breastfeeding can leave you with unwanted and lasting effects on your physical appearance such as sagging breasts that have lost volume, excess fatty deposits, loose sagging skin in the arms, thighs and abdomen, stretched or separated abdominal muscles, sagging buttocks, and laxity, dryness and stretching of the vaginal tissues.
A mommy makeover can restore your body to its pre-pregnancy appearance and improve your self-confidence and comfort, something that is hard to achieve with exercise and diet alone.
Who is a good candidate for the mommy makeover?
The ideal candidate for a mommy makeover is a woman who:
- Has fully recovered from childbirth
- Has finished breastfeeding
- Is not planning on having more children
- Has sagging breasts that have lost volume
- Has asymmetrical breasts
- Has excess sagging skin on the abdomen, upper arms and thighs
- Has separated or stretched abdominal muscles (diastasis recti)
- Has pockets of fat that are resistant to diet and exercise
- Is generally healthy
- Is realistic about the mommy makeover procedures
Choosing the right plastic surgeon for the mommy makeover
A successful mommy makeover entirely depends on the right choice of the plastic surgeon in Dubai. The surgeon you are going to choose should be board-certified, have ample experience in mommy makeover and should be associated with one of the most reputable aesthetic centres in Dubai. Some of the characteristics of a good plastic surgeon include;
- Having good reviews about previous work from the previous patients
- Being able to show you previous work through photographs or other data
- Prioritizing patient care and safety
- Having a keen artistic eye
- Possessing a good aesthetic sense
Questions you should ask your plastic surgeon
- Are you a Board-Certified Plastic Surgeon?
- How many years of experience do you have?
- Do you have specific training in mommy makeover procedures?
- Am I a good candidate for mommy makeover procedures?
- Where will the procedures be performed?
- Which surgical techniques do you recommend for me?
- Will the procedures be performed during a single session or will they be spread out?
- What can I do to get the best results?
- How long will be the recovery period and what kind of help will I need?
- How long will I be in the hospital?
- What are the risks and complications related to the procedures?
- How are the complications handled?
- What are my options if I am not satisfied with the results?
- Can I see before and after photos of this procedure that I can look at?
- What kind of results should I expect?
You may be asked to do the following by your Plastic Surgeon in preparation for your mommy makeover surgery:
- Get a medical evaluation including certain lab testing
- Stop smoking
- Adjust certain medications that you may be taking
- Stop takin anti-inflammatory drugs, aspirin and herbal supplements as they can increase your risk of bleeding during the procedure
How is the mommy makeover done?
Mommy makeover surgery is usually done in a hospital setting under general anesthesia or local anesthesia. Some follow-up procedures may be done on an outpatient basis but such decisions are based on the requirements of the specific procedure, your preference and your Plastic Surgeon’s best judgement.
The following are the most common procedures performed during a mommy makeover and they involve:
- Breast lift: This can be done using one of the three incision techniques:
- Around the areola
- Around the areola &vertically downwards from the areola to the breast crease
- Around the areola, vertically downwards to the breast crease and horizontally along the breast crease
From the incisions, your plastic surgeon lifts and reshapes the underlying breast tissue thereby improving the breast contour and firmness.
The areola and nipple are repositioned to a natural position. Enlarged areolas are reduced by cutting off skin at the perimeter if necessary. Excess breast skin is excised to compensate for skin laxity. The remaining skin is tightened, and the incisions closed.
- Breast Augmentation: This procedure is done using one of the three incision techniques:
- Peri-areolar (along the edge of the areolar),
- Inframammary fold (the fold under the breast)
- Axillary incision (in the armpit)
The incisions are made in inconspicuous places to minimize visible scarring. They are made based on the degree of enlargement desired, the type of breast implant and your unique anatomy.
Once the incision is made, the plastic surgeon makes a pocket either: over the pectoral muscle, directly behind the breast tissue (sub glandular/sub mammary placement) or under the pectoral muscle (submodular placement) and inserts the implant.
The incisions are then closed with layered sutures in the breast tissues and the skin is closed with surgical tape or skin adhesive.
- Tummy Tuck: A full abdominoplasty involves a horizontally-oriented incision in the area between the belly button and the pubic hairline. The amount of excess skin to be removed determines the shape and length of the incision.
Once the incision is made, the abdominal skin is lifted and the weakened abdominal muscles are tightened.
A second incision may then be made around the navel to remove excess skin in the upper abdomen. The upper abdominal skin is then pulled downwards, the excess skin removed, and the remaining skin is sutured together.
A new belly button opening is created, and the belly button is popped to the surface and sutured into position. The incisions are closed using tapes, clips, sutures or skin adhesives.
- Intimate Rejuvenation. This includes both surgical and nonsurgical procedures which are performed to improve appearance, restore tone and improve the function of the intimate tissues. The procedures include:
- Labiaplasty: It is used to treat overly large or misshapen labia, moderate sagging of the sagging labial tissues and cosmetic issues that may be bothering the patient. It involves making small incisions in the labia minora, labia majora or both, removing the excess tissue, tightening reshaping the remaining tissue to restore symmetry and closing the incisions.
- Vaginoplasty: Tightens stretched or loose vaginal muscles surgically.
- Clitoral hood reduction: Removes excess tissue over the clitoris to improve intimate sensation.
- Mons pubis reduction: Removes excess skin and fat from the mons pubis restoring a more streamlined appearance to the pelvic region.
- Liposuction: This procedure can be used to contour virtually any part of the body including the arms, thighs and buttocks.
During the procedure, small inconspicuous incisions are made in the treatment areas. Diluted local anesthesia is injected into the treatment areas to reduce trauma and bleeding. A cannula is then inserted through the incisions so as to loosen the fat deposits using a controlled back and forth motion. The extricated fat is then removed through suction out of the body using the cannula or a surgical vacuum.
- Buttocks Augmentation: There are two types of buttocks lift:
- Brazilian Butt Lift: Also known as BBL, is a type of buttocks augmentation procedure that uses fat grafting or fat transfer. A plastic surgeon uses the patient’s own fat, by transferring it from other body areas to the buttocks to give it a more defined, rounded and contoured look.
- Butt Lift With Fillers: Also known as the non-surgical butt lift, this procedure uses FDA approved injectable fillers – Hyacorp – to help in restoring volume, contour and lift with immediate results.
Are the results of the mommy makeover permanent?
The results are long-lasting as long as you maintain a healthy diet and exercise regularly. You will still continue to age normally.
Mommy makeover recovery period and downtime
Following your mommy makeover procedure, bandages and gauze will be applied to the incisions. You will also wear a support bra and an elastic bandage to control the swelling and support the breasts. A compression garment may also be worn to minimize swelling in the waist and abdomen.
You will experience swelling, bruising and discomfort following the surgery, but pain medication will be prescribed to help during the recovery. You will be given a list of instructions to follow while you are recovering.
The recovery will take several weeks as the swelling decreases and the shape of the breasts, waist, abdomen and intimate area improves. Most patients go back to work after two weeks, although if your job involves strenuous activity, then it’s
Aesthetics by King’s College Hospital is one of the leading aesthetic centers in Dubai where we have some of the best plastic surgeons in the region who are European and UK board-certified and focus on the safety and care of every patient in a compassionate environment with state-of-the-art facilities. To book a consultation, get in touch using the contact details given and our patient-care staff will book an appointment for you.