A skin tag is a superficial growth or patch of the skin that does not resemble the area surrounding it. A skin tag removal is a cosmetic procedure which aims at removing this superficial growth of skin. It is done with the goal of removing the tag that might become a source of physical discomfort.
Skin tags may sometimes contain cancerous skin cells which can be life-threatening. However, the major goal of the procedure is to reduce physical discomfort caused by the tags by removing them
Recommended Doctor For Skin Tags Removal
Dr. Pegah Dehdari is a German Board-Certified Specialist Dermatologist with over 19 years’ experience in the field of Dermatology, Venerology, and Aesthetic Medicine. She is a Certified Specialist in Laser, Hair Transplantation, Phlebology, and Dermatosurgery. Dr. Pegah has been the designated dermatologist of the German Consulate in Dubai since 2010.
Causes of skin tags include:
- Inflammation of blood vessels
- Skin diseases
Candidates for Skin Tags RemovalYou can be an ideal candidate for skin tag removal if;
- You have a skin lump or an abnormal growth of skin anywhere on your body
- The skin tag has been diagnosed as cancerous in nature
- The skin tag is causing you physical discomfort
- You are physically and mentally healthy
How to Choose the Right Surgeon for Skin Lesion Removal
The Skin Tag Removal ProcedureA skin tag procedure is done under local anesthesia on an outpatient basis in the clinic. The time duration of the procedure depends on the nature of the skin tag and type of technique to be used. There are various techniques used for the skin tag removal, however, the choice of the procedure depends upon the type, size, and location of the skin tag. The techniques which can be used to remove the skin tags include:
Types of mole removal treatments
Laser TreatmentDuring the procedure, topical anesthesia is applied to the target skin tag then laser beams are used to remove the tissues. However, two or three sessions, depending on the severity and nature of the skin tag may be required to completely remove the tag. This procedure is effective but not recommended for skin tags that are large in size
Shave ExcisionThis procedure is the easiest and most convenient form of skin tag removal. It is good for skin tags which are bigger in size. In this surgical procedure, a scalpel is used to cut the skin tag off entirely. Some bordering good skin is also removed in the process and then sutures are used to close the wounds. The results produced by surgical skin tag excision are permanent as soon as the swelling and bruising subsides.
CryotherapyAlso known as skin freezing, the procedure is considered a very quick treatment whereby a special solution (argon gas or liquid nitrogen) is applied onto the skin tag. The application is done either through a spray device, injection or a cotton swab. As a result of the solution, ice crystals are formed within the skin tag, breaking up the cells. There’s usually minimal to zero damage caused to the surrounding skin cells. This is also a one-time procedure.
Scissor ExcisionIn this procedure, the surgeon uses a scissor instead of using a shaving blade to remove the tag. The surgeon will hold the skin tag with the help of forceps by pulling it up, and the tag is cut from the base. Any remaining part of the skin tag may be scrapped off using a curette. This procedure does not require the use of sutures.
Results of Skin Tag RemovalThe results of a skin tag removal procedure will be visible immediately after the scarring and bruising vanishes. *Results vary from case to case
Risks & Complications
- Lesion Recurrence – Sometimes, lesions tend to occur again after the procedure. You might have to undergo the same procedure once again to get it fixed.
- Skin Sensation Alterations – You might feel temporary numbness in the skin around the lesion. But this settles down in a couple of weeks.
- Bleeding—heavy bleeding is not likely to happen but possible, you might need a blood transfusion or another surgery to halt it.
- Infection – The wounds may get infected if you will not take care of your hygiene. Anti-biotic will be prescribed to get rid of the infection
- Anesthesia Risks-— Use of anesthesia might cause a lot of issues like allergic reactions, chest infection, and blood clot formation in legs.
- Allergies—it happens scarcely, but your skin might be allergic to tape, solutions, or any other relevant medications. However, in this case, you might undergo an extra treatment to cure allergic reactions.
Get in Touch
At Aesthetics by Kings College Hospital Dubai, we have some of the leading plastic surgeons in the region. Our plastic surgeons, cosmetic dermatologists and aesthetic experts are board-certified and focus on the safety and care of every patient in a compassionate environment with state-of-the-art facilities. To book a consultation, get in touch using the contact details given and one our patient-care staff will book an appointment for you.