A facelift, which is also referred to as rhytidectomy, is a cosmetic surgical procedure which aims at rejuvenating the facial tissues by lifting the face for a more youthful look. It is done to improve the sagging and wrinkled facial skin aesthetically.
The Need for the Facelift
One might have droopy and wrinkled facial skin owing to the following reasons;
- Daily life stress
- Physical trauma on the face
- Lifestyle choices
- Drastic weight loss
As the face is the first perceivable part of your body and contributes a lot in developing your personality image on others. Having a wrinkled and sagging facial skin would lead you to have less cultural-acceptance and low self-esteem. However, the major goal of the facelift surgery in Dubai is to tighten up the facial skin and to extract out the excess fat from the cheeks and jaws. It restores the youthful, lively and cheerful appearance of the face.
How to Choose the Right Facelift Surgeon
Having a successful laser facelift procedure depends on choosing the best facelift surgeon in Dubai, who is an expert in facial contouring procedures. A good plastic surgeon should not only be experienced but should be board-certified as well. Other characteristics of a good plastic surgeon include:
- He should be able to show you photos of previous procedures.
- He should have good reviews from previous patients.
- He should have a keen artistic eye.
- His focus should be on the safety and care of the patient.
- He should have a remarkable aesthetic approach.
It is important to note that the facelift is performed by a plastic surgeon and not by any medical aestheticians.
After selecting the best facelift doctor in Dubai, the next step is having a detailed consultation. During this session, you and your plastic surgeon will discuss why you need the surgery, and what you hope to achieve. You will also discuss the process of the procedure, the cost and everything that will be involved until your recovery period.
Right before the procedure, the plastic surgeon will check your medical history as well as what medications you are taking if any. He will also physically examine your area of concern and take photos so that you can see the difference after the surgery.
Before the facelift procedure or any other procedure, whether surgical or non-surgical, it is important to lead a healthy lifestyle. If you are a smoker, you should stop prior to the procedure. If you are taking any blood-thinning medication like aspirin, you are advised to stop to avoid excess bleeding during the procedure. Alcohol consumption should also be halted as well as any herbal supplements.
The Surgical Procedure
The procedure is performed in an Inpatient setting and lasts between two to six hours, depending upon the size of the area to be treated.
Facelift surgery is done using a Local or a General Anesthesia.
During the surgery, incisions are made in front of ears on either side of the face. These incisions extend along the hairline, right in front or at the back of cartilage. These incisions continue around the earlobe (at the back of it), into the crease behind the ear and then into the lower side of the scalp. In this way, the excess skin and fat are extracted and the remaining skin is tightened and lifted by stitching firmly to the solid structures in front and back of the ears. The incisions are closed with the sutures.
In some surgeries, after the repositioning the skin, the fat tissues are redistributed and are added to the face to achieve facial symmetry.
You can also opt for a non-surgical facelift in Dubai. There are some non-invasive techniques, which can be chosen as an alternative to the traditional facelift procedure. These techniques are adopted when the candidate does not want to undergo surgery. The techniques include;
- A liquid facelift is a non-surgical procedure which restores the volume of the face by using dermal fillers.
- Laser Resurfacing can be used for fixing the sagging facial skin. If you don’t want to go through surgical procedures, then opt for laser facelift Dubai.
- Facial fat grafting can be opted for improving facial appearance aesthetically.
- A brow lift can be used to improve the appearance of sagging eyebrows.
- Vampire facelift is the most effective facelift procedure which uses your own blood to rejuvenate your face.
- Thread facelift can be used to lift sagging skin using surgical threads. So, if you want to get rid of the droopy face then go for thread facelift Dubai.
The recovery period after a surgical facelift is about four weeks. In the first week of the surgery, you will feel discomfort and pain at the incision sites. Your face will be bandaged and you will experience severe swelling, which will subside gradually within a week. You will have drainage tubes attached through your incisions to avoid any fluid accumulation and it will elevate your discomfort and pain. You will experience a bit numbness in the treated area and the sensation restoration might happen after a week or two. You will have to stay for a night at the clinic or a hospital, so you have to take off from your work for at least four to five days.
Over the next 7 – 10 days, the patient will have follow-up appointments with the plastic surgeon to keep track of the healing process.
It is important to follow any guidelines or instructions given by the plastic surgeon for faster healing and to avoid complications or risks.
You should take all the medicines prescribed by your plastic surgeon. You should use ice packs and compresses to reduce swelling and discomfort. You should keep your head elevated while sleeping for at least two weeks. You should avoid performing strenuous activities which can exert pressure on your incision sites for two weeks. You should apply all the topical ointments and other medicines recommended by your doctor. You should refrain from using hair dryers and also avoid skin care products for two to three weeks. Drainage pipes will be removed after two to three days and pain killers will be prescribed to deal with your pain. Bandages and sutures will be removed after five days of the surgery. You will be able to start your routine work after two weeks of the surgery.
Risks & Complications
Like any other surgery, this surgical procedure also includes risk factors; it is however recommended to discuss all the complications with your surgeon pre-operation. The possible risks include;
- Scarring—there will be scars from the surgery and they might get worse if not taken care of properly. You may need additional surgery to get them fixed.
- Healing Problems – Sometimes, wounds and scar do not heal properly and this might produce a need for another surgery.
- Infection – Infection can cause pain in the wounds but can be treated with antibiotics. However, this can affect the results of the surgery.
- Asymmetry – This is when the sides of the face are not symmetrical. In this case, you might need additional mini-surgery.
- Undesired Outcomes – Sometimes, the candidates do not get satisfied with the outcomes of the surgery. In this case, you will have to undergo an extra surgery.
- Allergies—it happens scarcely, but your skin might be allergic to tape, solutions, or any other relevant medications. However, in this case, you might undergo an extra treatment to cure allergic reactions.
Ideal Candidate for the Facelift
You might be an excellent candidate for the facelift if;
- You have elastic skin.
- You have a loose and a poor facial skin
- You have wrinkles and droopy facial skin.
- You have asymmetrical sagging cheeks.
- Your jawline needs a definition
- You do not smoke
- You are over 18
- You are physically healthy.
The results of the surgical facelift become visible soon after the swelling subsides. The procedure yields permanent results and your face gets charming and a youthful appearance.
Benefits of the Facelift
Facelift in Dubai is not only carried out in a compassionate environment but also generates some aesthetic and psychological benefits. These benefits include;
- It makes your skin firmer by tightening it together.
- It eliminates wrinkles from your face.
- It eliminates loose skin from your jaws and gives it well-proportioned contouring.
- It achieves facial symmetry.
- It refreshes your facial features by restoring the lively, cheerful and a youthful appearance to the face.
- It upgrades your overall personality aesthetically.
- It boosts your self-esteem.
Get in Touch
At Aesthetics by Kings College Hospital Dubai, we have some of the leading plastic surgeons in the region. Our plastic surgeons are board-certified and focus on the safety and care of every patient in a compassionate environment with state-of-the-art facilities. To book a consultation for face lift Dubai, get in touch using the contact details given and one of our patient-care staff will book an appointment for you.