A skin lesion is a superficial growth or patch of the skin that does not resemble the area surrounding it. The difference can be in the shape of moles, warts, skin tags, or various forms of cysts. However, a skin lesion removal Dubai is a cosmetic procedure which aims at removing the lesion. It is done to remove the lesions that might become the source of physical discomfort.
The Need for Skin Lesion Removal
One can have skin lesions owing to the following reasons;
- Allergic reactions
- Inflammation of blood vessels
- Skin diseases
People who have low self-esteem owing to the skin lesions, which can be life-threatening for them as well, opt for skin lesion removal in Dubai. The major goal of the procedure is to reduce physical discomfort caused by these lesions.
How to Choose the Right Surgeon for Skin Lesion Removal
Having a successful skin tag removal procedure depends on choosing the right surgeon or a dermatologist who is an expert in skin treatments. A good plastic surgeon should be a board-certified doctor, as well. Other characteristics of a good plastic surgeon include;
- He should be able to show you photos of previous skin lesion removal procedures.
- He should have good reviews from previous patients.
- He should have a keen artistic eye.
- His focus should be on the safety and care of the patient.
- He should have a good aesthetic sense.
Note that skin lesion treatment is performed by a professional plastic surgeon and not by any medical aestheticians.
After selecting the right surgeon for your skin lesion removal procedure, the next step is having a detailed consultation. During this session, you and your plastic surgeon will discuss why you need the surgery, and what you hope to achieve. You will also discuss your expectations and the whole process of the procedure, including skin lesion removal cost and everything that will be involved until your recovery period.
Right before the procedure, the plastic surgeon is going to check your medical history as well as if you are or have had been taking any medications. He will also physically examine your skin lesions in detail, and take photos so that you can see the difference after the surgery.
Before the skin lesion procedure or any other procedure, whether surgical or non-surgical, you should have a healthy lifestyle. You should follow a proper diet plan and exercise regularly. You should take the recommended medications properly. You should stop smoking six weeks before the surgery. You should discontinue alcohol consumption and also avoid taking drugs that include aspirin. Use of Anti-inflammatory drugs should also be halted. You should not drink or eat anything six to eight hours before the surgery.
A skin lesion procedure uses Local Anesthesia for the procedure and is performed on an Outpatient basis in a surgeon’s clinic. The time duration of the procedure depends upon the type of technique being used. There are various techniques used for skin lesion removal. However, the choice of the procedure depends upon the type, size, and location of the skin lesion. The techniques which can be used to remove the skin lesions are discussed as follows;
- Shave Excision— The lesions which rise above the skin are treated with this technique. The surgeon uses a blade of small size to remove the outermost layers of the skin until the lesion is removed completely. This technique does not require any stitches, and topical medication is used on the wound to control bleeding.
- Scissor Excision-— In this procedure, the surgeon, instead of using a shaving blade, use a scissor to remove the lesion. The surgeon will hold the lesion with the help of forceps by pulling it up, and the lesion is cut from the base. Any remaining part of the lesion may be scrapped off through a curette. This procedure also does not use stitches.
- Cryotherapy-— This procedure is also known as skin lesion removal freezing, and it entails the usage of a special solution (argon gas or liquid nitrogen) onto the skin lesion, with the help of a cotton swab. In this way, ice crystals are formed on the lesion, which breaks up the lesion tissue cell. The treated area will then blister, and the destroyed lesion is peeled away. It takes very less time to get executed.
- Laser Treatment— In this technique, a laser beam is applied onto the skin lesion. The high-frequency laser beam heats the cell in the lesion until they get burst. The lesion gets disappeared at the end of the procedure.
The time period required for the recovery varies from person to person, but generally, the recovery period is small. You will have slight discomfort or pain near the treated area, but this can be minimized by medications. You may have a fever, and even you may expect chills after the treatment, but this condition will settle down after a week through a proper medication prescribed by your doctor. You will have a bit scarring in the lesion areas, but this will disappear with time. Anti-biotic will be prescribed to reduce the risk of infection. You will be able to continue your routine activities within a week. You should have follow-up appointments with your doctor to keep your healing process in the track.
You should follow all the instructions given by your surgeon to keep yourself healthy.
You should take all the medicines as per your doctor’s prescription. Immediately after your surgery, you should take extra care of your wounds: keep them dry for at least two days. Clean the area around the wound with soap and water gently. You might have stitches after the procedure, do not rub them or wash them. However, the stitches will be removed after six days of the procedure. Keep on using the prescribed topical medicines on the wounds to reduce the risk of infection. Avoid strenuous activity for some days and take rest as much as you can.
Risks & Complications
Like other procedures, skin tag removal Dubai also has certain risks attached to it. However, it is important to discuss these risks with your surgeon before the procedure. The possible risks and complications include;
- Lesion Recurrence – Sometimes, lesions tend to occur again after the procedure. You might have to undergo the same procedure once again to get it fixed.
- Skin Sensation Alterations – You might feel temporary numbness in the skin around the lesion. But this settles down in a couple of weeks.
- Bleeding—heavy bleeding is not likely to happen but possible, you might need a blood transfusion or another surgery to halt it.
- Infection – The wounds may get infected if you will not take care of your hygiene. Anti-biotic will be prescribed to get rid of the infection
- Anesthesia Risks-— Use of anesthesia might cause a lot of issues like allergic reactions, chest infection, and blood clot formation in legs.
- Allergies—it happens scarcely, but your skin might be allergic to tape, solutions, or any other relevant medications. However, in this case, you might undergo an extra treatment to cure allergic reactions.
Ideal Candidate for the Skin Lesion Removal
Before carrying out skin lesion removal in Dubai, your plastic surgeon is going to check your eligibility criteria. You are an ideal candidate for the procedure if;
- You have a lump, sore, or an abnormal patch of skin anywhere on your body.
- You have cancerous moles or lumps due to skin cancer.
- The skin lesion is causing you physical discomfort.
- You do not smoke.
- You are physically and mentally healthy.
The results of skin lesion removal will be visible immediately after the procedure as soon as the scarring and bruising vanishes. However, skin lesion removal results are long-lasting if you take proper care of your skin.
Benefits of Skin Lesion Removal
The skin lesion removal has various psychological and medical benefits which include;
- It makes your skin smoother.
- It eliminates pain and discomfortcaused by the lesions.
- It would prevent the spread of skin cancer if the lesion were cancerous.
- It improves your overall appearance aesthetically.
- It boosts your self-esteem.
Get in Touch
At Aesthetics by Kings College Hospital Dubai, we have some of the leading plastic surgeons in the region. Our skin lesion removal surgeons in Dubai are board-certified and focus on the safety and care of every patient in a compassionate environment with state-of-the-art facilities. To book a consultation, get in touch using the contact details given, and one of our patient-care staff will book an appointment for you.